Re: [school-discuss] Philosophy: Teachers with Admin Privileges or Not

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 07:16:14PM -0400, Daniel Howard wrote:
> Our classroom servers, as well as schoolwide servers, are
> K12LTSP with the classroom student PCs running as clients.
>
> What you suggest is exactly a potential approach, that of
> allowing teachers to add applications to their local space on
> either type of K12LTSP server.  I'm wondering how many FOSS
> titles would work or not work that way.

We use virtualized LTSP5 so that administering the VPS is quite
"outsourcible" to e.g. a teacher, a student or anyone in a lab
who's in charge while the host system (HN, "hardware node" in
OpenVZ speak" is being supervised by someone competent for that,
and at least remotely accessible even if VPS gets completely
botched.

OpenVZ is well integrated into ALT Linux 4.0 Server (freely
available for download at ftp.altlinux.org and mirrors).

In Kiev, we're slowly working on getting OpenVZ template cache
(which isn't very much hassle per se) and hopefully an installer.
This week we have a FLOSS conference/expo, next week is going
to be spent cathing up with backlogs, and then as usual.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 ----       Oct 26--27, Kiev, Ukraine: