Re: [school-discuss] Major Linux school deployments

Ask and you shall receive.

We are a small classical Christian school in Dayton, Ohio with 133 students
(87 full-time), 3rd grade through 12th grade.  We are 100% Linux except that
the business office runs QuickBooks under WindowsXP using VirtualBox.  Most
admin desktop workstations are running Linux Mint (5.0 Elyse)  We have three
computer labs.  A dedicated computer lab of seven diskless workstations with
an LTSP server (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS) with the Edubuntu additions.  We also have
two mini-computer labs for classroom use, one of three and the other of four
workstations, with standalone Edubuntu installed on peer-to-peer subnetworks
for printing purposes.  Most of our printers are networked.  We run a main
wired and wireless network for teachers and staff, and another wireless
subnetwork for students with it's own dedicated network printer.

On a side note, the transition to Linux was without objection.  I simply
withdrew my support from their Windows machines until the users couldn't
stand it anymore.  After 9 months, every staff member asked to be switched
to Linux.  Many have now also switched to Linux on their home computers as well.

Andy Figueroa