Re: [school-discuss] Major Linux school deployments

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone heard from Paul Nelson or the Riverdale High School in Portland
> recently?  There is also a middle school in Portland that had an active LTSP
> project there.  I have not heard from them in a while, but I might have been
> out of the loop myself.

Paul is still active, Christian, on the *K12osn* mailing list.  He
provides help as needed and is still in the school system, I believe.
Eric Harrison, the single greatest contributor to the sustainable
deployments of K12LTSP labs, is said to be around but silent.  The
K12LTSP has terminated, quite stably, with the CentOS based EL
release.  Warren Togami has picked up the development lead with the
Fedora based K12 Linux endeavor but has a less conducive day-to-day
sandbox than Eric since he is employed by Red Hat and not by a school.

Debian Edu, aka Skolelinux, continues its progression.  OpenSuse has
evolved to include some great education tools, Edubuntu exists and
continues to innovate.  Within all of the above, more often than not,
is some variation of the altogether magical work of the LTSP.  I track
the K12OSN list, the schoolforge list, the edubuntu list, the ltsp
list, and the debian-edu list, actively, to maintain a sense of the
pulse of where we are.  I am yet to catch up on all the amazing things
happening in South America.

Centralizing information in a great repository has and will continue
to occur.  The intent of School Forge, the parent domain of this
esteemed and magically maintained list, has always stood out as the
most obvious place for a centralized repository of all things FOSS and
educational.  Perhaps it is here that you may want to focus your
efforts.  The K12FOSS.xxx domains are available, too.

I'll echo the comments about Atlanta.  What William and Daniel
catalyzed and documented, with great deliberation and intent, is
instructive and 'easily' emulated by any one with the will.  It's a
classic case study, as are about 1000 equally compelling and yet
untold tales of effective FOSS activities.

> Thx

Aloha

--scott