Re: [school-discuss] Do Something Dot Org

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Casey Adams <jcaseyadams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Maybe we could brainstorm and come up with ways to create a series of recurring local and/or regional events where we and others can present and champion open source, demonstrate open source, teach open source, give them open source to take home with them, etc.

Software Freedom Day ( http://www.softwarefreedomday.org ) is a great way to connect with the local community and let them know about Open Source.  I participate in the event through our local Linux Users Group.  When our local group did not have time to participate this year, I helped out at a neighboring county.  I also made sure to share information about the event with people within our school district.  OpenDisc offers an educational disc ( http://www.theopendisc.com/education/ ) that groups participating in Software Freedom Day sometimes give away.  Also, our district has an annual technology conference.  I participated the year before with a talk on Open Source to let people know some of the really useful free software that's available that could be helpful to students, educators and our technical support.  Events like these make a good way to educate people about Open Source and merge the educational, technical and Open Source communities.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp