Re: [school-discuss] Ideas

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Joel Kahn <jj2kk4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, I do practice wishful thinking, and I intend to continue doing so until
I finally get uploaded into that Great Server in the Sky.

I like the sound of that.

In the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), there are several
Special Interest Groups (SIGs) that might be particularly useful:

There's also a student magazine for ACM and you may have a local ACM chapter in your area.

I'm now going to take a breather while I gather strength to throw more
stuff at you. Everybody keep on this.

Would be nice to gather some of these links and put them all in one place for future reference by everyone.

I'll add some links to the list, but I know there are lots more out there.

Ran into these online learning sites which are partly sponsored by Mozilla:
https://www.drumbeat.org/en-US/
http://www.p2pu.org/en/
I'm on some very active Google Apps for Education lists.  They have very similar interests with Schoolforge.  However, they focus on the Google Apps for Education tools and techniques for working specifically with them.  Google's online products may not all be Open Source.  However, Google does have a strong philosophy promoting open data and the company is very much for being able to take your data to whatever applications you want.  I've also noticed some of the documents educators are coming up with (for example, certain lesson plans) using tools like Google Docs are using open licensing such as the Creative Commons licenses.  Here are some links to educator lists and educator resources for working with Google Apps.

http://home.appsusersgroup.com/
http://www.appsusergroup.org/
http://edutraining.googleapps.com/
http://www.google.com/educators/index.html
Since many of the efforts here are similar to part of Schoolforge's goals, it would be nice to work out something with some of these groups.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/gmail.htm