From: marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [school-discuss] Dyslexia and Math on the computer
To: "Schoolforge Discuss" <schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, October 12, 2012, 3:53 AM

Hello all of you programmers and folks . . . here is something else you might be able to help me with.

This may exist and I have never seen it.

My little boy, Sam, whom I just started on home school, not only is profoundly dyslexic, but has dysgraphia, and is color-blind.  Dysgraphia is the condition of having extremely terrible handwriting.  His has improved some, but it is mostly illegible.  The doctor's at Scottish Rite said there is not much you can do for it, just get him to learn keyboarding and use the computer as much as possible.

For math, it would be great if there was some sort of word processor for math that has all of the symbols and is in sort of an invisible grid so you can line up place values and work out algebra.  The process of working out math problems by hand is so difficult  for Sam that he usually tries to solve everything in his head.  He can do that pretty well - but it would be better if he could show his work.

A spreadsheet isn't the right animal for this.

Anyone seen anything like this?  Would it be hard to create it?

Marilyn