Re: Learning programming (was Re: [school-discuss] looking for open source technology to write about it.)

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Marc Stephan Nkouly <mcsteann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks so much for the links, i will exploit them and see what i can do .
> It's true that personally am particularly interested in applications that
> has to do with Telecommunications like games that could be played by
> answering sms or even on mobile phones that will respond to a server.

Personally, for the mobile or Internet market, I prefer working with
web technologies (like HTML, CSS and JavaScript) over using more
native technologies like objective C, Java or whatever language might
be recommended for a particular phone or mobile device brand.  A
mobile friendly web site will work with a variety of devices while an
app works only for specific devices.

Here are some other links that may be of interest for creating
applications that work on mobile devices or via the Internet.

If you aren't up to speed with doing HTML and CSS by hand, here are
some GUI editors:
http://www.kompozer.net/
http://bluegriffon.org/

For creating mobile applications using web based technologies, check out:
https://cordova.apache.org/
https://github.com/MoSync/

MoSync is Open Source but the company behind it went out of business.
I personally like it because a programmer can combine C/C++
development with web technologies, but if you can't leverage C/C++,
then cordova or just using HTML/CSS/JavaScript with MoSync should be
fine.  It would be easier to port a SDL based game (C/C++) using
something like MoSync or a technology like Emscripten (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emscripten ).

I have a list of resources/links I refer to related to web development at:
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/web.htm
Haven't updated it in a while, but plan to update it over the weekend.

Sincerely,
Laura
###