Re: [school-discuss] request for texts

tir, 2002-09-10 kl. 10:13 skrev David Bucknell:
> Take this bit of reflection or leave it: I read the Principia in
junior math
> at St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland. I am not a
mathematician, but
> the book is required reading. My memory of it is that it could be
used as a
> source and broken into digestible bits for average to bright
younger students.
> It is fascinating, if nothing else, for the discovery of
infinitesimal
> calculus, so could provide good historical background and
demonstration of
> real mathematical proofs. Any more than pieces would be difficult
for all but
> the most motivated of students except with a great tutor.
>
> David
> Quoting mike eschman <meschman@engima.com>:

In a similar vein:
The geometry teachings of the school of Pythagoras. An important
part of math history and a real eye opener for those who think math
can only be done in one way.

Ever had pupils cursing "those damn greeks" when doing second degree
equations? They are right!

Harald