[school-discuss] SchoolForge as a visible entity

Schoolforge is rapidly approaching it's first anniversary.  In this time many
people have learned to work together and share Ideas within the community.

I think it is now time for SchoolForge to become visible to the education
community itself.  there are many ways this can happen, and most require the
expenditure of real money.   We can buy ads in magazines, that is real
expensive.  We can buy Banner Ads, but that is real hard to target.  We could
buy a list and spam, but that is not an acceptable approach.  We can ask
everyone to call the local School district and try to find someone to talk
to.  Many have tried, few have succeeded.

A Better Solution is to show up in a place where educators and administrators
are likely to be wandering around looking for a solution to meet their latest
issues or long term planning.  Where do teachers and administrators walk
around looking for solutions?  At teacher conferences.  At education
conferences.  At education showcase events.

There are many of these education events held in almost any local region you
can imagine.  Some are huge, some are small and some are very well focused.

Right now we have some friends in the Pacific Northwest that may be able to
take part in the NECC conference in Seattle next summer.
<http://www.neccsite.org> I know it is some time away, but a well planned
presence at a conference of this type can provide some really fine exposure.
The time for planning always seems long, but in looking at this event, I just
noticed there is a short (for us) deadline in submitting a proposal for the
conference.
<http://ccenter.uoregon.edu/conferences/NECC2003/newcomers/default.php>
This would be a nice opportunity if some of the folks out there have a
product service or approach to present to the education community, this is a
great time and place to begin.  The deadline is October 9 2002 for proposals.

In the past we have taken SEUL.org to LinuxWorld and to a CUE conference
<<http://www.cue.org >>.  At Linux world there were many interested in what
Seul.org is involved in, but almost none were in a place to position any kind
of an OpenSource solution in any school., let alone in a district.  At the
CUE conference held in Sacramento two years ago,  we had a moderate response,
added a few people to the Seul/edu mailing list.  We were able to keep costs
at almost nothing because we were able to share space with Mandrakesoft. for
this event. The folks at Mandrakesoft, like may other OpenSource companies,
are not real hot on spending money on tradeshows that do not see an immediate
return.

We need to see what local as well as corporate resources can be marshalled to
fund booths at events like this one and perhaps look at a few "personal"
dollars for those that can attend these conferences, but are not financially
independent.

Toss in your thoughts.

Bill Ries-Knight