Re: [school-discuss] Approaching administration: ammunition needed

Hi Alan,

Frankly, IMO this space is not strongly filled by OSS at this point.
I know of a school district that is very strongly committed to FOSS
(they sponsor FOSS development, even), and after it was all said and
done they went with Powerschool recently.

I know the Web2School folks so please bear that in mind, along with
the fact that they are *not currently Open Source*. However, they're
moving toward becoming Open Source, they already have Mac, Windows,
and Linux clients, and the Linux server was in beta several months
ago.

Another downside: No web-based client (despite the name). They're
planning to roll out a web-based client soonish...I'm not sure of the
timeframe on that.

One upside: I've never heard anything bad at all about them or their
product. They're a small company but hundreds of schools here in the
northeastern states use them and the people I've asked rave about the
product and their service.

Another upside: I've heard their prices are very, very good, but I'm
not intimately familiar with prices in this space, so I can't say
anything more than what I've been told.

SchoolTool is definitely not ready (Tom Hoffman will tell you the same
thing), and the same school district that went with Powerschool did so
after giving Centre the best shot they could for 3 semesters; they
couldn't even make it work well enough for /one/ of their several
schools. And OpenAdmin was one of the first school admin projects
I heard about from them, so I'm sure they ended up rejecting it with
full knowledge of it's capabilities.

Anybody who knows me knows that I wouldn't send an email like this
lightly - I'm a hard-core ideologue for FOSS. But the current
offerings in this space need to mature before they become feasible for
situations like yours, and I would hate to see you *lose ground* by
trying to argue for something that's clearly unworthy.

My advice is to check into Web2School; it may or may not be an option
for you. If you choose them, then if (there's no 100% guarantee) and
when Web2School goes open source, suddenly your school *will* be
running FOSS. In addition, you'll not be locked into any particular
platform (like the atrocious "browser-based systems" that work only
with IE :-E ) so you still have Mac & Linux options available when it
comes to your SIS.

I hope this helps. I don't mean to dump on SchoolTool, Centre, and
OpenAdmin, but IMO they're not sufficiently mature for them to be
taken seriously in an environment like yours and I'd advise you to
fight a battle you have a better chance of winning (such as for
Firefox (duh!) and Open Office (duh!)).

Regards,
Matt Oquist

Alan E. Davis wrote:    [Fri Sep 01 2006, 03:02:31PM EDT]

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/