Re: [school-discuss] Approaching administration: ammunition needed

Hi Alan,

As a first, quick and dirty response, I could list a few capabilities
I've heard bandied about:

Here are some of the things OA does, so far:

Gradebooks

There is an online gradebook that teachers at home or school. It posts directly into the report card system. It includes reports, blank mark sheets (since gradebooks still need paper for marking, normally), groups and subgroups; group and intra-group weighting; current versions have constant group weight functions, etc. There are also assessment item (test) cloning and compression tools (several items into one, etc.)

Grade submission

It has a full customizable report card system with unlimited text length comments, up to 20 objectives per subject, global student comments (ie. single shared comment), and PDF output from a Linux TeX system (All reports for printing are generated as PDF).

Attendance

There are multiple attendance entry methods and can be either by secretary or staff. There can be 'per subject' entry or simply 'per period' based entry. There are a large variety of reports. There are also customized attendance triggers (based on attendance reasons) points that trigger customized form letter generation (integrated with the discipline system).

Scheduling

There is a scheduling system (integrated with the online daybook) for tracking student location. OA will also export an XML data file to the open source FET timetabler to do timetabling. It will then import the resulting teacher XML data file to import the student and teacher timetables.

Enrollment management

There is a new waiting list function and all student transfers (enrollment, withdrawal, re-enrollment) are kept permanently.

?Transcript/Student histories

Student transcript functions exist (but there has been little interest, and therefore little development).

Syllabus maybe (Moodle is available already)

Not sure what you mean here. I'm working on an import method to import Moddle results into the OA gradebook.

OA also has a discipline tracking system, data export system, customized student and staff database/form functions. The IEP system (special ed) will create both IEP's and Progress reports with up to 32 objects per subject.... blah, blah, blah.

You get the idea. It's been in production use for the past 5 years and I keep on adding functions as the need arises. I try not to write to a spec but to a real need.

Given some existing school cultures, Open Source is a hard sell to particular administrators, etc. (unless they can see how it works themselves)

The demo sites are at:

Admin - http://bcsa.richtech.ca

Teacher site: http://bcst.richtech.ca (use user: richl and password richl (last letter is lowercase L)

(There is also a parent student site for viewing of gradebook info (and attendance, etc. could easily be added). No one has asked...(grin). Staff training is a slow process... report cards one year.... gradebook the next year.... daybooks... etc.

New IEP site also at:  http://iep.richtech.ca

Documentation is at:  http://richtech.ca/openadmin/docs

I'm currently rewriting things to better support multiple languages.

HTH,

Les Richardson
North Battleford, SK Canada

Alan