Re: [school-discuss] Teaching programming on Linux

Being a Linux lab, I would opt for Perl or Python, especially since they both typically come already installed on a Linux system (and they're both portable to Windows).  They both have enormous user bases and are used in both large corporate (Perl at JP Morgan, Amazon, etc and Python at Google, among others) and small community environments.

Editors
Komodo Edit (free) - http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/komodo_edit.mhtml
Eclipse - http://www.eclipse.org/
- EPIC (plugin for Perl development) - http://www.epic-ide.org/
- PyDev (plugin for Python developtment) - http://pydev.sourceforge.net/
Geany (in Ubuntu repository, if using Ubuntu) - http://www.geany.org/

Beginners Perl (slides) - http://www.slideshare.net/davorg/lpw-begin
A Beginner's Introduction to Perl 5.10
 - part 1 - http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2008/04/23/a-beginners-introduction-to-perl-510.html
 - part 2 - http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2008/05/07/beginners-introduction-to-perl-510-part-2.html
 - part 3 - http://news.oreilly.com/2008/06/a-beginners-introduction-to-pe.html
Learning Perl (book) - http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101053/
Learning Perl Student Workbook - http://www.theperlreview.com/learning_perl_study_guide/
 - at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Perl-Student-Workbook-brian/dp/0596009968
Lear Perl.org - http://learn.perl.org/
Perl Best Practices - http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596001735/
(if you can't tell, I'm a Perl guy ;-)

Dive Into Python - http://diveintopython.org/
Python Tutorial - http://docs.python.org/tut/
Python Beginner's Guide - http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide
Learning Python - http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596513986/

I also have contacts in both the Perl and Python communities and could put him in touch with them if he'd like.

Thanks,
Jeremy