[school-discuss] White Spaces

At the EFF site I ran into this story . . .

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/09/open-up-white-spaces

. . . and I couldn't help wondering: since FLOSS in general--
and especially Linux--has such an emphasis on free forms
of experimentation, are there any special connections between
the “white spaces” issue and the FLOSS community? I noted
this paragraph in particular:

"Developers would also be free to use this spectrum
to experiment with new devices that take advantage
of the newly available spectrum. When the Internet
is everywhere, cheap and easy to access, new devices
will spring up to make use of it, promising a revolution
in wireless technology that will likely bring changes
we can only now imagine."

Does "new devices" here mean FLOSS? Any thoughts from
people who know more than I do?

Joel