Windows boot takes HOW long?! (Was re: [school-discuss] Re: M$ Windows 7 - probably didn't brag enough about FOSS)

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 05:07:21PM -0700, Marilyn Hagle wrote:
> My colleagues using Windows are waiting 15 minutes to boot up and 10
> minutes to get into their new typing tutor program.

Wow!  I know Windows boots slowly, but what kind of systems are these,
and what version of Windows?  Is there a reason they're booting from
scratch, rather than keeping the systems running (or suspended, when not
being used) all day long?  Do the kids each have accounts on the systems
that they need to log into?

My own anecote: I had a 1 or 1.5GHz laptop at my last job, with
WindowsXP, and it would take a few minutes to boot up and provide a
login prompt.  Then many minutes more to log me in and get to a state
where I could actually _interact_ with the desktop, launch
applications, etc.  It was the time I'd spend schmoozing with
co-workers and making myself a cup or two of coffee.
Still not 10-15min though!

And FWIW, my 1yo, 2GHz Kubuntu laptop running KDE 4.3 is slow compared to
what I was used to with KDE 3.5 on that aforementioned work laptop, but
still not as slow as Windows was on it.

-bill!