Re: Windows boot takes HOW long?! (Was re: [school-discuss] Re: M$ Windows 7 - probably didn't brag enough about FOSS)

I've got IBM P3 1000's with 1GB SDRAM that boot Windows 7 from 40GB
IDE disks in under 2 minutes (to the desktop, system usable). These
computers were given to us by Computers for Schools two years ago
after being used at a provincial power generation utility. The same
machines running Kubuntu boot to usable desktop in about 90 seconds.

I've got 30 Acer 751 Atom based netbooks that boot Windows 7 in under
45 seconds.

The only thing I've seen Windows boot that slowly is having
insufficient RAM, like 64MB on a P3 1000 would easily take XP to boot
in 10-ish minutes. I would assume that Linux is probably the same, but
I've never tried it. Hard to make comparisons with no comparable
background. Just becomes speculation.