Re: [school-discuss] Linux distribution

Personally, I've had good experiences with Trisquel:

http://trisquel.info/

It's purely Free Software according to the exacting standards of the FSF; I've
been able to easily install and run it on a couple of different machines so far;
and it's been a real breeze to download and set up a huge variety of apps
within it. It also operates at a quite respectable speed on older hardware.

Joel

I would start with Xubuntu.  It employs Xfce as its default interface, which is far easier to customize to your liking.  In turn, this will allow you to create an environment with which you feel comfortable.  On top of that, Xubuntu is based on Ubuntu which is, in turn, based on Debian and provides access to an ocean of software resources available via the Debian repositories.  This will undoubtedly be a big step towards finding open source software that will meet your needs.

Chris
###