Web proxy usage on end-user machines

I've been using web proxies at various places in my network for quite a
while, both because of the advantages in network lag and bandwidth, and
because they're useful for caching.

However, the other major reason I used to run one on my laptop was this:
when I move the machine from one place to another (different IP, gateway,
dns, upstream cache, etc.), I only have to change the configuration of the
web proxy, not every HTTP agent I use (netscape, lynx, etc.).  When I still
roamed between bunches of places, I had scripts to change my location, and
one of the things they would do would be to hack at squid.conf and restart
it.

Now, end-user machines could also benefit from this, laptops moreso than
desktops.  Put a small proxy (tinyproxy: http://www.ninsei.com/tinyproxy/)
on the machine, taking exceedingly small amounts of resources, and point
all the local agents to this proxy Out Of The Box.  Then you have *one*
system-level utility that can re-point this proxy wherever necessary.
Voila!, you have a dynamically reconfigurable system that doesn't take
forever to reconfigure.  With a roaming setup for laptops, it could easily
be totally automatic.

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user