Re: Oh good grief!

[sent to seul-dev-apps, because I think that's where Micah intended
his post to go. I've since fixed the reply-to on most of the seul lists,
to avoid this problem in the future.]

In message <3613E664.621CCABC@cyberis.net>, lyoder@cyberis.net writes:
>> You should contact the people/person who wrote the other version, and
>> see what its status is. Mention you whipped up an alternate version,
>> and you were interested in merging the source trees, and/or willing to
>> take over development (if you are).
>
>Actually I'm pretty sure it does NOT use GTK.  And I'm more familiar
>with my own code, and I have plans to make it look better (probably even
>better than his), so I don't think there's much to worry about.  I guess
>I'll drop a note anyway.

Just because you intend yours to be better doesn't mean it won't be useful
to talk to the other author. You verify that he doesn't have another
release that's ultra-cool but a few days from being ready. And at the least,
you're being polite enough that maybe he'll abandon his version and help
you on yours. :) (Though I suspect there will always be room for a non-gtk
version of most everything.)

>> And you might want to un-post to freshmeat if you can do that. :)
>
>I think I'll just leave it there....
>
>I think the biggest problem is the name is the same.  His is also called
>Chain Reaction...  Maybe I can rename it...

gchain greaction? :) (hey, if there's a pattern, why not use it...)

The name in this case is kind of important, because people will say "O
yeah, chain reaction. that's a cool game." because they will have
played it before..

--Roger