Re: The Kernel

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> While I agree that we are not the developers, I feel that one of our major
> markets ( targeted or not ) is going to be small LANS who do not want to
> buy NT Server.  Admins are likely to complain about the large number of

Maybe, but I would expec that (for the moment anyway) they will mostly be
using regular Redhat or Debian.  Eventually, e-linux and so on will be
replacing that.

> "destination unreachable from ..." errors in their logs because linux
> will not follow an icmp-redirect.

I surely hope no admin is still using ICMP redirects... this is the 20th
century, remember?

The security problems with ICMP redirects far, far outweigh the (marginal)
usefulness.  It's like source routed frames, only you need less talent to
spoof them...
kk