Re: The Kernel

George Bonser wrote:

> Exactly.  We must be clear about the division between core and seul.  As a
> matter of fact, core is simply a collection of sources.  The more I think
> about it, the more I think that core sould NOT be debian packages because
> that enforces a certain filesystem layout and I think we might want to
> give the various distributions the freedom to put things where they will.

That would make dists non-standard.  If (i.e.) Borland wants to port to
Linux have their program work from the /opt tree (for example) and all
distro's don't use that tree then the program is broken.  I remember
back in the beginning when there were so many tree structures that you
were hard pressed to find a tarball that would compile without having to
change the paths in the Makefile.

> That was my thinking.  I suppose we could put a lurk on the kernel-devel
> mailing list and if a patch is rejected for good reason (it breaks xyz) we
> do not incorporate it.  If it seems to be generally adopted into most of
> the kernel weenies' source trees and things go well, we can incorporate
> and test it ourselves.

A good idea.