Re: The Distribution

> For me at least it implies that whatever George will do depends on what
> debian does first.  I dislike the idea of being a follower when I have
> shown that it is entirely possible for Seul to be a leader.  I feel, and
> have said on several separate occasions that Seul should be distribution
> neutral.  I.E. it is not based on any existing distribution but, to
> paraphrase star trek, it goes where no operating system has gone before.

I agree that Linux should take the forefront.  But starting from scratch is
*not* the way for SEUL to help in that process.  If we were to start from
scratch, we'd have to spend time developint a new (Linux's 6th or 7th!!)
distrib when our time is *much* better spent working on innovations.

> you do have to admit that George came from the debian list to seul.  His
> insistence on debian being the only way to go and his association with
> the debian list
It is not *his* insistence upon using Debian.  It's *mine*.  I feel very
strongly (given what I know now) that Debian is the right way to go.  This
must have "rubbed off on him" somewhat :-)

>  To be frank, I don't think that Seul should rely on any distribution
> currentlyavailable.  If any distribution were so good that Seul should
> be based on it, then the reason for Seul would not exist.

You're missing the point.  What we are using from Debian is the *base* and
core Linux setup.  I agree, if Debian did what we want, we'd be done.  But
it *doesn't*.  As I have stated, our goal is to support and/or develop
whatever is necessary, but developing a new distrib from scratch is *not*
necessary.  We have the opportunity to create a Linux *standard*, which we
cannot do without help.  Debian has offered to be that help, given certain
things.  The most obvious (which I'm assuming) is that the core would be
Debian-based.  To base it upon RedHat and then try to cooperate with Debian
would be messy to say the least.  Note that no one (specifically Bruce) has
said it couldn't or wouldn't be done, but I think it's a safe assumption
that difficulties would arise.

>   Get yourself an admin assistant :-).

Believe me, I'd love to have one...  The problem is that they'd have to be
able to reply to my email for me.  That could get tricky :-)  My best bet
right now is to get a decent PDA that I can sync e-mail with and actually
do some of this during my dead-time (transit).  Any suggestions?

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user