Re: The Distribution

Þann 20-Jan-98 skrifar john@dhh.gt.org:

> Debian already does just that.  Perhaps seul could go farther and supply
> "fake" packages which would emit instructions on how to get the real thing?
>
> BTW, France forbids the distribution not only of crypto software, but
> anything with crypto hooks, while Germany outlaws the distribution of
> some games to children.  Lots of stupid laws out there.

  Not that stupid really.  If you take a look at the German ones, kids playing
a computer shoot'em'up game... like Quake, Duke Nukem, or Doom.  I sure
wouldn't want my ten year olds, to be playing that.

  However, on the crypto stuff... such legislations can be questioned.  The
knowledge on cryptography doesn't endanger any secret stuff, but without it,
the people of the internet aren't able to have their conversations "private".
Which can be interpreted as if _that_ was the intention of the legislations (if
one wanted too), which of course is a questionable act. IMO.

Orn Einar Hansen                         oe.hansen@oehansen.pp.se
                                          oehansen@daimi.aau.dk
                                        voice+fax; +46 035 217194