The Boot Floppy Problem

I want to give a little more detail into the exact problem that I was
having building the boot floppies.

The rootdisk.sh script calls scripts/rootdisk/generate_library like so:

EXECUTABLES="$R/bin/* $R/sbin/* $R/usr/bin/* $R/lib/* $R/usr/lib/*
/sbin/lilo"
$scripts/generate_library libncurses.so.3.0 /usr/lib/libncurses3.0_pic.a\
 $R/lib/libncurses.so.3.0 $EXECUTABLES

$scripts/generate_library libc.so.5 /usr/lib/libc5_pic.a $R/lib/libc.so.5\
       $EXECUTABLES

This is where the problem is occuring.  TO be exact, it is at this line:

strip --remove-section=.note --remove-section=.comment \
 --remove-section=.debug \
 /var/tmp/lib.$$

Which is stripping the library of symbols to make it smaller.

Where it returns with the error:

strip: sta18518: Invalid argument

This should be interpreted as sta$$ created with the PID number of the
creating process attached to sta which I interpret to mean status.

In any case, it fails at this point each time.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org