Re: Core

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Micah Yoder wrote:

> George Bonser wrote:

> Well, right...but I was under the impression that the core would be a
> set of "layers" - the base core, development, networking, and X.  Makes
> sense to me.

Look for the c in core.  If it is upper case as in Core, that means the
bare minimum Linux Core. If it is lower case like core, we are talking
about the core of the SEUL distribution.

> Seems like perl and tcl should be in the base core

I will be willing to go with this as soon as I find a program that needs
tcl in a base install. So far I have not found one. Even perl is marginal
as only debian uses it in its core installation ... do any other
distributions use it?

> the X core.  Since tcl isn't used much outside of X, it would make a
> little sense to just include tcl in the X core, but it's not really an X
> app, so why not put it in the base core?

Because it is not mandatory for an absolute bare bones linux system.

> There's certainly room for it and it will allow those who wish to
> program in Tcl (or python or whatever) the knowledge that their programs
> will run anywhere.

That is what package managers and dependancies are for.  THat is why rpm
and dpkg have dependancies.

> cryptic syntax.  :-)

I find python less cryptic than perl.

George Bonser