Re: Mission Statement

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Rick Jones wrote:

> I was under the impression this was seg's job?

Read the task document:

So, tasks in short:
1. Work with SEG to get lots of info about our target user.  figure out
   large classifications of users we can target (home, business, school,
   and any other big ones that are discovered).  Figure out what each user
   group wants, and any distinctly good/bad setup for any user group.
   Also, note commonalities among groups.

> What do we have to do with the installation process?  What could we
> possibly do to cause the installation to be this HUGE?

Don't know.  Our job is to:

3. Write the configurations, compile the distribution.  And complain when
   seul configuration utilities mess up, so we can get them fixed.

So if something that UI comes up with (oh, and don't get so defensive ...
I just picked UI as a random example) is nearly impossible to implement,
you will need that feedback so you can correct it.

> You are the glue that binds the distro together into a single package,
> physically.  Anything you think should be changed should go back through
> the chain to the group actually in charge of that area of the distro for
> discussion on the issues you think need changing.

Correct!

> Understand, I don't intend on working on the UI for months to have a
> member in your group change it.  "What we (all groups) produce is what
> comes in direct contact with the end user's senses."

We would not change it.  We might say, "we can't do this because 1) X 2) Y
and 3) Z.  It would be up to you to fix it.  We might SUGGEST a change but
it is your ball of wax.

> Forgive me.  Maybe it's just unintentional wording, but this makes it
> sound as if the other groups are under distro and the members are simply
> elves that do the foot work so the distro group can dig in and mold it
> into their idea of look and feel, disreguarding the work of the other
> groups as they will.

Huh?  No .... since we are the point where everything comes together, we
are the ones that are going to spot trouble that might not make itself
apparent in your area.  Something one group does might break something in
another. We are not going to change anything but we ARE going to give both
groups details on what happened.  Think of distrib as QA.

> I understand this was of the cuff, if I've missunderstood your meaning
> let me know.

Way too defensive, dude :)

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org