Re: The Kernel

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

> No, a binary kernel and source too.  Developers must count on kernel
> headers, at the very least, to make their programs worthwhile.  The kernel
> source isn't used as often, but, I hate to make the kernel dependent on
> any sort of nonstandard hacking.

NO!  If you must recompile a kernel for your app, you are NOT
SEUL-compliant!  If your kernel differs even in a syngle byte from the
SEUL kernel, you can not claim that you meet SEUL.

We can NOT have developers building new kernels that might make their
stuff work but might break other things.

If their app breaks with out kernel, we need to find out what the trouble
is and either fix our kernel or they need to fix their app.  We will
publish the source but if you "roll your own" you are also on your own.
You must use the core kernel provided by SEUL as well as the SEUL libs.

If we can provide a kernel that allows you to READ that CDROM mastered in
Joliet format or use that Video hardware that you still can't use in Red
Hat or Slackware or Debian's core kernel, why NOT?  It is one more excuse
removed for not switching to linux.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org