Re: The Core and the Kernel

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> > We can NOT have developers building new kernels that might make their
> > stuff work but might break other things.
>
> Right.  The goal of being Core-compliant (not SEUL-compliant, mind you), is
> to define a certain level of things that can be *assumed*.
[...]
I can't say much about the core/kernel issue, but will we
(SEUL) use one boot-disk with an SCSI/EIDE kernel or
two bootdisks (EIDE beeing default) which only incorporate
either disk interface and dynamically load the other ?
What about the kernel that will be installed on the HD
(SCSI and/or EIDE) ?

I was thinking about the following, and would like to know
whether/how this could be done:
In order to show some other people GNU/Linux (e.g. my
father who keeps complaining about NT and other MS software)
I would like to install Linux on a iomega ZIP medium and
be able to plug in the parallel-port Zip-drive with a
boot floppy and show people a vanilla GNU/Linux running
off the Zip medium with X and some apps.
(Using VGA16 or SVGA server maybe)

What do you think ?