Re: The Distribution

George Bonser wrote:

> We build on the very base Debian install.   This is the 5 floppies that
> get installed during the install phase or the portion of the CDROM install
> where it reports that it is loading the base system. In short, it is
> everything done prior to rebooting the system.

 And have SEUL held hostage by debian,  This is pure bull pucky, there is
nothing in theinstallation of Linux that requires it to be Debian.  Has anyone
bothered to look at what
programs/scripts are used when installing a new Linux system on a computer.
Let's see,
off the top of my head: makedev (a script), mk2efs (for the basic file system),
mkdir (shell command),
geeze nothing that points to Debian or Redhat.  Hummm why the instance on a
Debian install????

> After rebooting, rather than throw the user into dselect, it should ask a
> few configuration questions.  For example:
>
> What type of video card do you have?
>
> 1) Mono
> 2) Color VGA
> 3) Color SVGA

  This is kinda silly, take a look at www.tigerdirect.com and get familiar
withwhat kinds of systems are being sold.

> Do you have a Multisync monitor?

  Can you buy a new computer system today without a multisync monitor???

> 1) Yes
> 2) No
> 3) What is multisync?
>
> mouse type, keyboard type, etc.
>
> This would dprovide the information needed to load a canned X installation
> that would not require the user to run xf86config. These would be an
> unaccellerated X server with fairly basic modes. The user will be told
> that they can add performance later.
>
> Then, a GUI PPP configurator would launch and the internet access set up.
>
> Then the installation continues from CDROM, NFS, Disk, or FTP as usual
>
> I would say that right now, our distribution consists of the basic install
> and nothing more at this point.

 Here you are wrong, right now the distrobution consists of nothing but a bunch
ofsaved messages.  I have seen nothing (less twoducks help system) that would,
by
any definition of the word, be discribed as a program much less a distribution.

> George Bonser
> If NT is the answer, you didn't understand the question. (NOTE: Stolen sig)
> http://www.debian.org
> Debian/GNU Linux ... the maintainable operating system.

Working at cross purposes here, maybe????