Re: The Kernel (fwd)

Star's End wrote:

> This is where you lost me. What is a beneficial patch to the kernel?
> I think we are missing the point here. The following is the concepts I
> have gotten out.

The beneficial patch can be whatever.  You are argueing my point, for
the most part.  The SEUL user won't compile his/her own kernel (most
likely) and therefore we should include kernel binaries *in base* with
various options compiled in for them.  The Linux core, as you said,
should be a stripped kernel using modules.  That makes the Linux core
kernel an acceptable standard.

>         The linux kernel - the operating system - scheduler, device drivers
>                                 etc ...
>
>         The linux core - the minimum required. This includes a filesystem,
>                         and the programs in /bin /usr/bin, the libraries in
>                         /lib, and /usr/lib, and other things like the X11
>                         subdirectory ...

There has to be a kernel in the Linux core.

>         SEUL - the extra applications that a user may want but are not
>                 required by the linux core.

There should be pre-compiled kernel binaries in SEUL base, in addition
to the Linux core kernel.

> Know people have expressed fears that if a kernel compile is performed
> by the user the installed applications may break. This is always a danger
> when compiling the kernel. there is no way you can solve this problem.

I haven't had this happen in over 3 years of using Linux, compiling my
own kernels, unless I take something out.  By accident ofcourse =)

> The correct problem to solve is the following. Given a set of applications,
> what should be included in the kernel such that they work out of the box?

Exactly.  Things like PPP should be compiled into an optional kernel in
base.  Maybe in core as well.  I have found that, once in a while, when
doing an upgrade via FTP a problem can occur that wipes out your ability
to load modules.  The first time that happened I learned to compile ppp
into my kernel so I can fix things.  For example.  Things like that need
to be considered.