Re: Some thoughts on SEUL

NOTE This thread is moving to seul-dev-install only.

George Bonser wrote:

> How do you boot into Linux from startup with RedHat without a boot disk if
> you do not already have DOS installed and if your system will not boot the
> CDROM? You STILL need a boot disk for RedHat if it is a clean install.

I RedHat or Debian had perfect installers that would work in ALL the
nice
ways, and do what we all wanted then we could just start calling one of
them SEUL and be done with it.  The problem is that no Linux installer
is
perfect.

I think I already posted my wish list for an installer on this list,
( Installer will boot from CD, or run a loadlin start, or use diskette )
but one thing I didn't mention.  Have the install locate the CD or
Installation files in the early stages of the process.
That way you can load and run the bulk of the install utility from
the CD-ROM or *FAT partition.

With this in mind we only have to put 1 or 2 screens on the diskette.
We
also need to put a text editor and most of the Kernel modules needed
for finding CDs and HDs ( IDE, SCSI, PCMCIA, Panasonic etc... ).

Next wish that wasn't mentioned.  truncate ALL base install file names
to the filename 'LCM'.  I.e.  DOS 8.3.  This is because downloading
with different versions of Windows ( most FTPrs do this ), truncate the
filenames in different ways.  Using different FTP programs complicates
maters further ( I have had CuteFTP 32 running under Win32s and getting
thoroughly confused with long file names ).  Slackware is Popular
among windows/Linux users for this precise reason.
--
"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."