Re: Installer comments??

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Tim Thomson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been suggested here before to just have a list of what the computer
> will be used for.
> ie.
>
> ( )   Network Server
> ( )   Networked Business Workstation
> ( )   Networked Home System
> ( )   Dial - up Home System
> ( )   Stand alone Workstation
> ( )   Custom
> ... etc.
>
> The user clicks which one they want, and a default system is installed
> that would most suit the use.
> If the system will be installed from CDROM, it won't matter that users
> might not need everything.
> If the system won't be installed from CD, or the install detects to small
> a drive space, then a list like Omega's should come up, to give the user
> more control. If the user selects Custom, then Omega's list, with packages
> to be selected comes up, with a default list of packages.
>
> Also about the DOS part (defraging and fipsing), I think we should stick
> with the proven (ie DOS) system, until we can really put a Linux fips
> through it's paces, within the Linux community. We don't want to give
> SEU's a possibly unstable product - especially when that possibly unstable
> program can kill their system!
>
> Just my 2 cents anyway,
>
> Tim.

Erik, Tim, Thanks for your ideas.  I like the simplicity of your
install selection ideas. Erik's menus idea simplifies things too, on a
different level. Maybe the two ideas can work together.

The DOS-level stuff is the real stickler.  We need to hear from more of
you.  Both sides have some good arguments.  And we need to resolve this
before we really can get much moving.

To everybody in dev-install:
My mail server goes down today and it may be a few days before I get back
on line.  I archived things up to Sunday night but may loose some of the
more recent correspondence.  Please keep some backup of your thoughts for
the next week or so.

Regards,