Re: gfdisk and install

> From: "yiyus" <jg_yiyus@jet.es>
> Cc: <clanget@studcs.uni-sb.de>, <seul-dev-install@seul.org>
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 15:28:12 +0200
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Ok. X-Server will not work, but can we use the vgalib in vgamode
> 640x480x16 with a lib called svgagui? I think there are problems with
> different mouse types, like bus mices ...!?
> >

> My original idea (I have alredy written some code, very few) was to
> use libgwin. Libgwin is the libggi port of svgagui - which could be
> used in Xlib or svgalib. So, the program is written in libgwin and we
> use svgalib (which have very few drivers), and when it is more stable
> we use it in libggi, so we would have lots of targets: kgicon, X,
> svgalib, even AAlib. Everybody could run it then. If it works well
> even it should be easy to write a gtk libgwin, and if somebody can run
> X in his machine, then use it (but this is a very long time ToDo in my
> list). If you want to help me, I would be really happy.

The problem is you are forgetting two things:

1) The big problem is not installation but what happens after when the
   defenceless user is confronted to a Unix machine.  When designing
   for Linux you must forget about your Unix lessons at University.
   There are Linuxw users who never got a Unix lesson: they have to
   cope with all Unix from minute one.

2) You are getting excited in "How?" before thinking in "What?".  A
   graphic installation will look prettier than a curses one but per
   itself does not make the install easier, nor help the user with his
   post install problems.

3) You discarded curses installs saying "no advantages" but I
   disagree: you can pick existing ones and improve tem, and more
   important they work with every hardware available and will continue
   working.  The example of the VGA server in conjunction with NVIDIA
   cards proves graphic installs are frail.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org