Monitor/vidcard database

> I'd rather build a database, that connects Freq,DotClock,MaxX,MaxY,Depth
> and the make a program that sets the Display mode, pauses for 10 seconds,
> and then asks the user to confirm the mode was ok.  The card can be
> probed for the Dot clock, and memory which delimits the
> Depth/Width*Height.  Or, in a similar manner Windows does it...

I have the beginnings of code to extract the entire Windoze95 monitor
database, which is reasonably complete: weighs in at ~1000 monitors in the
copy I have (not the latest).

I need someone to take over development of that script, and develop a
standardized format for monitor/card information (if one doesn't already
exist).  Once we have that, we can ask the user for their monitor and
vidcard information (or probe it if we can), and build up the list of video
modes they can do.  Then, if we can allow switching modes on-the-fly, we
can present them with that list.

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user