Re: Wilderness Survival

> Yes I was pretty sure there was something like that but I haven't had a
> chance to go through looking for it. Let me know if you have any luck with
> setting that up.

Yep! I've just installed 20 Linux station today in my school using
kickstart.
I've done the install in two step :
First I use a Linux server where I copy all the Mandrake CDROM
(~Redhat). Also I set up the needed services from the server as NFS,
NIS.

Second I install a Linux Workastation with all the needed packages and
setup the configuration (NIS client config, X-Window config, NFS auto
mount , other needed things)
From this station I create a config kickstart file using the utility
mkkickstart (from Alan Cox). I change it where needed and change the
installation from nfs instead of cdrom.
 In this file there is a special section (%post) where you can use bash
command, form there I put all the stuff to set the final configuration
as the NIS name server, adding things in fstab and many other things).
I  copy this file as ks.cfg on the boot floppy disk.

At the installation I only get problem to get my network card
recognized, I need to enter by hand the port and irq. Also the keyboard
was not recognized.
Once finish the station is full working, nothing to do.

With this method kickstart install two  stations on the same time while
I was preparing the others (flashing new bios and making by hand the
partion)

The worst point with kickstart is the partion configuration if you share
the disk with Windows OS, Kickstart is not very helpfull. In fact you
need to have already a Linux partition (among Windows one) when you
install with kickstart.

Take a look at the Redhat manual in appendix H.
There is also a kickstart how to.

I've also heard very good things with the Debian to automatic
installation (in the march Linux gazette)

If you want I can send a copy of my config file to give you an idea.

--
Hilaire Fernandes
Dr Geo project http://www.drgeo.seul.org