Re: Simplified UI

> There has been some talk about creating a kind of simplified UI fir
> children.  There's also been talk about a menu-program wich gives
> more and more access to a child depending on how well the educational
> programs are used..

Students learn from each other quite a bit with computers -- more
so than most other subjects.  If the environment is different for
different students it could hinder that, e.g., a student who figures
out a way to use some tool might not be able to share it with their
neighbor, because their neighbor doesn't have access to that tool.

I think it would make more sense to advance a group of students
all together at the teachers discression (i.e., without any
automated testing).  Also, I don't think permissions would need to
be used -- the different environments should be meant to direct the
students, not limit them.  So a menu for younger children might not
include difficult tools, but if they find a way to run them anyway
then no harm is done.  Exploration should be encouraged -- all the
more so in Linux because they can safely explore (which, to my
frustration, is not the case on a Mac where they can mess the
computer up by exploring).

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>