Re: Simplified UI (menu-systems)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 EAMorical@aol.com wrote:

> I don't know if this is worth anything, but I saw it this morning and thought
> I would pass it along. Caldera has released Gem (the PC GUI that beat Windows
> to market) under a GNU public licence. The source code is available from
> (http://www.devili.iki.fi/cpm/gemworld.html).

I've been following discussions about GEM on other lists, and it's
generally felt that it's not worth the effort in trying to port to another
system, as it uses some fairly DOS-specific hacks to work it's "magic",
like heavy use of TSRs and assembly code.

An alterative that was proposed for people needing a lightweight
GUI is the Nano-GUI project. It seems to have some good potential.

http://www.linuxhacker.org/nanogui/

Now please don't debate about one GUI vs. another GUI vs. X, I don't
think I can take another debate like that :)

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/