[seul-edu] [georgesk@boltz.univ-littoral.fr: gperiodic + web = a powerful teaching tool.]

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

From: Georges Khaznadar <georgesk@boltz.univ-littoral.fr>
Date: Tue,  4 Apr 2000 19:09:30 +0200 (CEST)
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: gperiodic + web = a powerful teachng tool.

Hi,

I have hacked gperiodic to make it a driver for netscape or lynx or
whatever web browser. When you click on a button representing a
chemical element, you get its basical properties. If you request
"more" informations from the dialog, a page is opened in a web browser
showing whatever you linked to this element.

The default behavior is configured by a file which contains html code,
thus visible with any browser and editable with any html editor.
At the beginning, this configuration file links each element to an url
containing the reserved word "undef" (namely
http://localhost/gperiodic/undef.html). When such a link is detected,
it is not followed. Instead of it, the browser is given the config
file. With netscape you an edit the file and modify the link to make
it useful. Students can either pick raw links from web search engines
or build their own html pages, including various materials.

Each student's work remains in his/her home directory, so the result
can be browsed by the teacher or by other students.

What would be the best solution :
should I send a diff against the last official snapshot of gperiodic,
or should I access directly the CVS repository ?

--
Georges.

----- End forwarded message -----