Re: [seul-edu] Intro

bgfay wrote:

> I just realized that I have yet to introduce myself--just sort of blurted out
> in the middle of a discussion. My name is Brian and I teach middle school math
> to at-risk kids in Providence, RI (USA).

Welcome, Brian!

> Also, I'm looking to pick up an inexpensive machine for school to start a small
> Linux group with some kids after school. Our school is all Mac and I am persona
> non grata for having PC's and thinking that they matter next to the Macs.

You might consider putting Linux on a Mac for them.  This could have two advantages
(if politically feasible)--it would show students that there are choices available
to them no matter _what_ hardware they use, and it would frost the principal
MacZealots at your school a bit.  I know the Mac people here at the university are
mildly unhappy when I tell them that their Macs and the other people's Wintel PCs
are all the same to me, just PCs, so long as they run the standard network
protocols we mandate for them.

> Last thing (promise) I've linked to our school's web site below and I am hoping
> to take over as web master in the coming weeks so as to put up something a
> little more functional. Speaking of that, I'm looking for a good Linux web
> design tool. Unfortunately I'm hooked on Macromedia's Dreamweaver and they
> haven't ported it to Linux (though I'm working on that).

I don't know of any "WYSIWYG" design tools for HTML on Linux.  Actually, I don't
know of any for any platform, as HTML is by its very nature the antithesis of
WYSIWYG if done properly.  Having said that, you might go to Freshmeat
<http://freshmeat.net> and search on "HTML editors" or something similar and see
what you find.  Something may appeal to you.

--
Doug Loss                 Even if you're on the right track,
Data Network Coordinator  you'll get run over if you just