Re: [seul-edu] [OT] summation of 1/2x

You missed it, jm. The series is easy to sum from 1 to infinity, but
impossible to sum from 0 to infinity, since the starting term (1/0) is
undefined. I (and others, no doubt) assumed the original posting read 0 due
to a typo or a minor slip of the tongue (right, Brian?). Surely this typo is
all that Jan was alluding to (otherwise, why the smiley?).

And BTW, the sum (from 1 to infinity) is easy to calculate without cutting
pieces of paper. Set it equal to X, double it, and subtract the original
equation from the doubled one. All the terms cancel out except the leading
2. It's the basic "training wheels" exercise in how to sum an infinite
series that converges. In your variant (2 to infinity), the same approach
will cause all but the leading 1 to cancel out.

And a technical distinction: in math, you can **illustrate** things by
cutting up bits of paper, but you cannot **prove** them that way.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com