HTML (was: Re: [seul-edu] Intro)

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000, "Joseph E. Arruda [mr.zenn]" wrote:

> Doug Loss wrote:

> > I don't know of any "WYSIWYG" design tools for HTML on Linux.
> Actually, I don't
> > know of any for any platform, as HTML is by its very nature the
> antithesis of
> > WYSIWYG if done properly.
>
> I don't understand that, as I'm sure if someone had the time and
> motivation could do one for basic HTML...

I meant that HTML is a text markup language, not a page layout
language.  It's intended to semantically markup your text and links,
which your browser then interprets as you prefer.  That means that
properly written HTML (by the original intent of HTML) can't possibly
be "what you see is what you get," because what each user sees is
completely under his or her control.  The folks who try to force HTML
into some sort of page layout language frustrate themselves, irritate
anyone not using the one or two browsers they "design" for, and
fundamentally miss the point of HTML: to present your information in a
clear and pleasant form to anyone who can get it.  I'm happy to say
that the SEUL pages work very nicely on any browser, including
text-based and audio.

--
Doug Loss            There's no trick to being a humorist
dloss@suscom.net     when you have the whole government