Re: [seul-edu] Hello from Crosswords for Linux maintainer

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Apr 2000 rnd@sampo.karelia.ru wrote:

>-Then this stuff is parsed and mixed with a pattern.html that
>holds the Javascript. And then we've got the final Crossword.
>
>Each character shown in the browser is a .gif, then you'd have
>to draw every Cirillic character. And my python script generator

BTW, why gifs (IMGs)?

>of crosswords doesn't care about alphabets, a possible word
>would be :
>p("^G^H^I@@#~~", "Foo word"),
>
>So, If I have more  words with such characters, there won't be
>any problem to find the "cross" , that is, find a common char
>of two strings.
>Just type whatever you like inside the python string.
>Another issue is :
>Can netscape read files like "russian-R".gif (ro)?

Yes, it can, but not always from a web-server.
This is kinda violation of the rules...

>It's not impossible. The biggest problem I see is in names
>of the .gif files. Because netscape can show Cirillic and python
>strings doesn't care about what's inside them. I think python
>has no problem with Cyrillic, I think. Another option would

Yes, Python handles cyrillic almost OK.

>> By the way, there is a crossword generator called  "cwc"  which
>> could make generation of crosswords easy. Have  you  tried  it?
>> (Unfortunately it doesn't support too many non-english chars  -
>> that's why I am asking).
>
>URL, pleeeeeease ?? :)

This one?

http://www.cs.auc.dk/~larsch/cwc/cwc-1.0.tar.gz

>My generator has been made by me. It uses a bit of brute force and
> a bit of back tracking. It's surprising that actually works!
>I've been thinking about releasing it, so it can get improved,
>but if people doesn't care about sending me a line ( a word), how
>can I expect help in a back-tracking-random algorithm which is
>the hell for the average user... ? Besides, it works almost by
>chance, ...

The above mentioned generator is quite capable and fast.

>> I could advertize your effort in relcom.education usenet  group
>> and some others, where there are lots of active readers.
>
>That'd be great indeed. If these projects ever manage to get
>a "critical mass", it'd be one of the most interesting project
>out there. Not for the crosswords, but for the lexicons collected.

I was long time ago a crossword hobbyist... :-)
But at those time I had no computer capable of storing
vocabularies.

>Well, to put it short:
>It's feasible, it's possible. Just:
>- do the russian letters.
>- do the mappings of those letters in the function load_sources

I think, at the same time I could repair some latin letters
or are them intentionally jumping all ways?

(The way to do it, as I see it:
- a script for latex and some .PBM cropping. )

>Regards/Saludos
>Manolo

BTW, probably you (as a person in charge of  Linux  Crosswords)
could make handling international chars  more  easily,  without
using 8bit letters in file names. So, it will be easily to  add
languages.

>www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
>/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
Russia * Karelia * Petrozavodsk * rnd@rsuzi.pgu.karelia.ru
* Sunday, April 09, 2000 * Powered by Linux RedHat 6.0