Re: sourceforge is nasty [ Was Re: [seul-edu] Request for Mailing list for Crosswords For Linux ]

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Joseph E. Arruda [mr.zenn] wrote:
>
> > How is sourceforge 'nasty'?  It helps to give us feedback (yes, I am on
> > the periphery of sourceforge...)
> > ;)
>
> I tried sometime to join sourceforge, well my netscape was popping
> **all** the time about that my Verisign key had expired, really nasty,
> besides SSL was lacking. The design of sourceforge, and what they
> offer is nice. It's just I have Red Hat 4.2 ( yes, 4.2 Biltmore)
> and I don't intend to change in the near future (2 or  3 months).

Actually, the issue you are referring to was one that I had heard
before, and it ended up being the fault of Verisign itself for not
updating its verification schema.

> It's a pity that you need to update ( throw overboard, sometimes)
> all your libraries, conf files...
>
> I think that's one of the nastiest things of Linux, updates and
> absurd incompatibilities: the branch of GNOME-ish programms that
> requires GNOME, the branch of SDL, Cranlib that requires a bunch
> of new libraries, the Gtk stuff... the glibc ( Java needs 2.1.2
> and it can't run in 2.1, or something like that). Definetely not,
> I'll update when I have time enough and expecting things settle
> a bit.

I go for static-libraries whenever possible myself...I hate all teh lib
issues.

> Besides, I don't like the "Portal-ish sites", nor the
> pseudo-commercial looks...

While I agree that you *could* classify SF as a portal, I would hardly
consider it pseudo-commercial.  The graphics are kept at a minimum for
efficiency without making it look aesthetically bland.

thanks,

Joseph E. Arruda		|	www.valinux.com
Corporate Alchemist		|	sourceforge.net
VA Linux Systems, Inc.		|	www.linux.com
z@valinux.com			|	www.lugod.org
+1 408.542.5730  kernel panic:  cannot read from /dev/caffeine