Re: [seul-edu] Crosswords for Linux Backtracking recursive crossword generator

Of all your list of things that need doing.  I don't
think I would impliment it on my system until it no
longer makes works like ysketch because we work with a
lot of kids here where English is not their first
language.  Learning in a foreign language is challenging
enough, I can't justify adding any hurdles to the
learning process.  In my mind learning is the first
objective, speed is a secondary objective.  Besides,
once the xword is created the data file is static and
the display just uses that matrix that you created once.
So I don't see why speed is an issue at all.  (I have
probably overlooked something important, but that's my
"oppinion" anyway).

I think python can still be a good "web" app or a local
app, as a web app it runs as a cgi.  I don't see what
the problem would be.  Infact, I generally prefer cgis
to javascript, because we have many fairly old computers
and the speed is much better if the server does the hard
work and sends a "static" page to the client.  After the
initial screen there won't be all that much data
transfer.  I assume you have a way so that you don't
need to redraw the whole screen with each input.
Although, I remember this being problematic and I don't
remember a good solution to this.

I like java, but it requires me to use new computers.  I
think the cgi is the best option for my aging computers
and for my newer ones any solution seems fine.

I like the idea of a user configurable option if you
aren't going to  do it my way ;-)  However, you once you
get rid of they ysketch then every word will start at
its assigned number and you can make a list of across
clues and down clues.  This is how most xword puzzles
are done anyway.  I guess not when there are 2 clues on
the same line, but in anycase, I would suggest 2 lists
-- but first fix ysketch.  (I guess I shouldn't tell you
what to do -- sorry, but the ysketch is a BIG stumbling
block for me -- the others are inconviences).  In my
oppinion once ysketch is fixed its a good program.  Then
the only thing left will be to see how teachers can
create and store their own files for kids (hopefully in
their own space).

Bill

Quoting Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina@ctv.es>:

> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY wrote:
> > Also, one confusing aspect of the crossword puzzle
is
> > that some times there is no space between different
> > words.  For example on the first python the answer
> > sketch on the screen is seen as ysketch.  This isn't
> > quite the normal xword rules (at least those I grew
up
> > with) and it makes the puzzle visually much harder.
>
> Yes, I know, I was playing with that "factors". The
way it's now
> it's because generator is much faster , the words are
easier to fit.
> I really don't know what to do:
> - Improve generator
> - Feed more and more words
> - Switch to python-tk
> - Switch to Java (1.1) . I don't have 1.2
> - Write some automatic filters for those dictionaries
I've found
> so I automate the creation of dicts . Problem with
Copyrights and
> a new design of Crosswords for sure, and perhaps a
different
> crossword generator ( many words to choose require a
different
> strategy).
>
> Each task is a major one, and I don't know which is
more "profitable"
> in terms of getting people involved. I intended a
purely on-line
> app, and because of that the Javascript are so small ,
so simple
> and light... And I now head to a purely off-line app.
>

> > One last thing, perhaps its my mathiness, but I find
it
> > confusing that the coordinates are vertical,
horizontal.
> > Math uses (x,y) -- as far as I am concerned it's a
good
> > standard.  However, if you don't want to change this
> > perhaps write above the clues that it is (y,x).  But
> > dislike having to rethink opposite for each clue, so
> > would appreaciate (x,y).
>
> Perhaps it should be configurable ( python-tk would be
better for this).
> In fact, I though (y,x) because I was thinking in
rows-columns and
> rows are more important than columns. A matrix 4x1,
means a "tall"
> vector...
> python-tk is almost more crossplatform than Java
itself. Although
> requires an aditional works for OS/2, Winblows...
>
> Regards/Saludos
> Manolo
> www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html
/texpython.htm
> /pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm
>
>   There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he
has to take the bull
> by the tail and face the situation. -- W.C. Fields

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>