[seul-edu] RE: X-terminals

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:38:08AM -0500, Jay Drew wrote:
> I have a lab full of old but good IBM PS/2 286 workstations that will soon
> be gracing a local landfill. Has anyone tried using these as LINUX
> terminals? Will they handle running as X-terminals? I hate to see working
> computers thrown away.

As Ben Armstrong noted, 286's cannot run linux.

The two good uses for 286's are:
1) (disclaimer:  I haven't tried this one) hooking a modem up to it and using it
   as part of a dial-in pool (can't remember the S/W I saw for this, but it was
   DOS based and used Novell's DOS TCP/IP stack.)

2) Throwaway Citrix clients... but this is a discussion for a different list.