[seul-edu] WIMS pop-up calculator forms

Hi everyone,

Is anyone interested in this?

We've been busy trying to develop web materials to
help our high schools get ready for the new math
competency exams (AIMS test) here in Arizona. Xiao
Gang was nice enough to create some new features in
WIMS to help us and they have been implemented in a
way that should help many people.

The new feature allows you to create your own pop-up
calculator forms and embed them into a web page. It
is a way that schools or individuals can use WIMS
capabilities without actually having to download and
install the whole WIMS server.

Just go to the main WIMS site or one of the mirrors with
the pop-up calculators installed and click on "what's new",
"Popup calculator forms".

http://wim.unice.fr/~wims/wims.cgi

Search for keywords like "arithmetic", "algebra", etc.
Download the forms you need and put them in a web
page. The calculator forms will access the server that
you downloaded the forms from, so you have to be online
to use them.

There are several places on the web with similar
capabilites, but we wanted something simpler and
more adaptable without all the banner ads.

I composed a sample calculator page from the pop-up
calculators at the US mirror for WIMS here:

http://math.cochise.cc.az.us/K12/calculators.html

Feel free to download it and adapt it any way that
would increase its usefulness for your school. In
addition to changing the titles and logo or translating
the labels into another language, you may want to
add or delete calculator forms, rearrange them in
some way, make several pages instead of one,
or add your own links to other math sites.

L. Prevett
Mathematics Instructor
Cochise College, Sierra Vista, AZ, US
prevettl@cochise.cc.az.us