Re: Re: [seul-edu] Linux + Apache - Student Administration System

    We want to get away from scripting languages such as ASP or PHP.  We
encapsulate all our business logic into persistent java objects. Methods
like calculating term gpa exists in a single place in our application, and
are reusable from all other parts.

Currently we have a single set of business logic that returns most
everything in XML.  This is matched with an XSLT page on our server to
produce DHTML for PCs, HTML (dumped down) for Macs, 240x320 HTML for PDAs
with PocketIE, PDFs for printed reports, and WML for smart phones.  Or the
XML is used directly for district-to-district record transfer, or
transformed to a SIF-compatible format.

This way we dont't need to recode our business logic on a dozen different
ASP or PHP pages.

So far we've scaled up to a 44,000 student district without problems.  Linux
has less overhead than NT, especially when we yank out everything we dont
need.

Dave