Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] New educational app--literature]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 12:03:02PM -0400, Doug Loss wrote:
> owner-seul-edu@seul.org wrote:
>
> > From: DraX <drax@whiplash.stampede.org>
> > To: seul-edu@seul.org
> > Subject: Re: [seul-edu] New educational app--literature
> >
> > What are the childrens age ranges, i mean gutenburg is mostly older texts,
> > so your looking at this wrong if you want material for younger children.

My own children range from ages 3 to 11.  The Debian Jr. project is aimed
at children in the 8 and under range as our primary audience, with
secondary consideration being given to a second range from 7 to 12.

I did a bit more poking about at Gutenberg, using the Search form with the
Subject keyword "children's literature".  I think this gives me what I
want.  A total of 90 records are matched which, while certainly not the
majority of the texts, is nothing to sneeze at.  While titles suitable for
the youngest children (e.g. "Collection of Beatrix Potter Stories, A")
lack the pretty pictures of the original books, this listing certainly
provides me with plenty of alternatives once the weekend's library haul
has been thoroughly exhausted (or is it the parent who is exhausted, from
re-reading the same one or two favourites? :)

Broadening the search to just "children" matches 100 records, but from the
handful I sampled, the ones that aren't "children's literature" were false
hits (e.g. "Children of presidents -- Southern States -- Fiction")  I may
have overlooked some other good subject keywords.  I'll have to look at
the collection in detail and see what I can come up with.  Then I'll see
what the viewer provides by way of aids for locating/grouping ETexts in
a way that makes it easier for children to find texts that they would
enjoy.

Ben