Re: [seul-edu] Encyclopedias on CD-Rom

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Jim Thomas wrote:

> Does anyone know of a Linux app that can make use of the many
> encyclopedias available on CD-Rom?
>
> Right now I've got Windows installed in our library, and the only thing
> keeping me from converting these boxes to linux is that we're using them
> with several encyclopedias:

You _might_ be able to get them to run under WINE (http://www.winehq.com I
think).  Right now I would give it about a 30% chance of working...

To the most part we have migrated to internet based encyclopedias, etc.
If you really need to you can get a subscription to extra content on
Britannica's website, etc (though the free part is still quite useful).

With a good proxy server setup, even a 64K ISDN (or 128K) line would work
just fine for 4-5 computers, DSL works quite well for upwards of 25-50
computers, etc.  If you had to, I bet you could even get away with a
standard dial up, and a good caching proxy (squid) for 3-4 computers...

			Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
Hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 661-7875 (CELL)