Re: [seul-edu] Linux/Beowulf in k-12 environments]

I agree.  K-12 has a lot of needs for infomation systems, just like everybody else, but generally those systems are not computing intesive. Beowulf's cluster is more for the paralle computing rather than for high availability and failover.  That's being said, it will be very interesting to see if any good applications show up in this area.

J.
--

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:54:35
 Tad Walker wrote:
>I've looked into Beowulf in K12s and found an online Beowulf with free accounts
>which may be interesting to the group.  It comes with a gigabyte of disk space
>too!  See http://www.tsunamictechnologies.com/ for more info.
>
>The problem seems to be applications.  Although there are some demos available, I
>think one needs to have studied parallel computer programming to put a beowulf to
>much use.  I hope I am wrong.  Mathmatica is a notable exception.
>
>There are some other exciting parallel computing projects like PVM, PVFS,
>ClusterNFS, but I think they are more applicable to the University-level or
>Graduate-level.  Exciting stuff!
>
>Cheers-
>
>Tad
>

>Doug Loss wrote:
>
>> owner-seul-edu@seul.org wrote:
>>
>> > From: Harish Pillay 9v1hp <harish@iqmind.com>
>> > To: seul-edu@seul.org
>> > Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Linux/Beowulf in k-12 environments
>> >
>> > Hi.  I am wondering if there is anyone on this list interested in developing
>> > a set of topics and apps that can be used as a showcase for teaching students
>> > in the k-12 (kindergarten+12 years) age group the benefits and uses of cluster
>> > based supercomputing ala Beowulf.
>> >
>> > I should have a 4-node cluster up and running sometime this week and then need
>> > to figure what kinds of apps I can run on it.
>> >
>> > Comments and suggestions for collaborations are most welcome.
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> > --
>> > Harish Pillay 9v1hp, Chief Technology Officer
>> > I Q m i n d . c o m -- Where Learning Never Ceases
>> >
>> > http://www.iqmind.com
>> > w +65.323.6838 x 12   f +65.323.0208
>>
>> --
>> Doug Loss                 God is a comedian playing
>> Data Network Coordinator  to an audience too afraid
>> Bloomsburg University     to laugh.
>> dloss@bloomu.edu                Voltaire

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!