Re: [seul-edu] MS targeting schools for software audits...

Jim Thomas wrote:

> In the mid 90's, we discovered that the president of our
> home-owner's
> association had been embezzling money from us.  We suggested to our
> attourney that we were going to ask him to repay it, or we were
> going to
> the police.  Our attourney told us we'd better not, because "that's
> extortion."
>
> Can anyone explain how this is any different?

Well, you should have found a better lawyer. That wouldn't be
extortion.  Extortion is where you force someone to compensate you in
some way under threat of your doing something unpleasant to him.
Asking him to repay what he illegally took from you, and letting him
know that you'd pursue legal courses if he didn't voluntarily do the
right thing is in no way extortion.